The Senior Executive Institute (SEI) at the University of Virginia offers top local government executives and department directors of large localities strategies and hands-on techniques to skillfully navigate the complex and fast-changing world of local government. It consists of a two-week class taught by subject matter experts and local government practitioners focused on creating well-equipped, agile, and high performing local governments.
WHAT SEI OFFERS TODAY’S LEADERS
What Leaders Face
The world of the public manager and leader is evolving at a speed that challenges even the most robust organizations.
- Local governments are increasingly being asked to do more with less.
- Federal and state support is declining.
- Citizens are demanding a more caring, responsive government.
- New technology is revolutionizing public service.
- Dynamics and relationships with elected officials have changed.
To respond to these forces, our local governments must become laboratories for a new style of organization - one grounded in basic democratic values and guided by a collective vision of community-building and empowerment. To take our communities confidently into the future, public leaders and executives must adopt a proactive approach to change both inside the public organization and outside in the community. They must invest the time and resources required to create and maintain a continuously improving, learning organization.
What SEI Offers
SEI programs provide local government leaders essential skills they can directly apply in their organizations to make positive change. In every SEI program, participants will
- Examine, discuss and apply the most relevant and powerful leadership practices, with focused discussions on the distinct and complex experiences of local government leaders
- Develop interpersonal skills and community and organizational leadership skills
- Leave the SEI session with a clear roadmap of the concepts learned and how they can be applied to their organizations immediately
- Develop a deeper understanding of inclusive leadership through sessions specifically focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion